From passports and visas to travel insurance and working off-campus activities, there's a lot to consider before you set off on your journey. Our 'Planning Your Travel' section is a handy reference for things you need to consider prior to approval and booking.

Travel Policy and Procedure

University travel is a journey for University business activities by anyone who travels on approved University business or who travels as an approved representative of UQ. The journey must involve a flight on a commercial or charter aircraft, accommodation or vehicle hire.

Any University travel that does not fit the description above should follow the OHS Work Off-Campus Procedure (PPL).

UQ travellers, bookers and approvers should familiarise themselves with the University's Travel Policy and Procedure (PPL) and the content on this Travel website.

As a UQ traveller, it is your responsibility to ensure you:

  • comply with the Travel Policy and Procedure (PPL);
  • only undertake University travel after exploring other alternatives, ensuring the University is receiving value for money;
  • inform your Supervisor if any part of your trip changes before commencement or during your trip;
  • check funds are available to cover the expected travel costs prior to requesting domestic travel approval;
  • confirm your day-to-day work commitments, including teaching responsibilities, are covered for the duration of your trip;
  • comply with the Work Off-Campus Procedure (PPL), if applicable; and
  • have the correct documentation to enter planned destinations and perform the required business activities, prior to the trip departure.

International SOS (ISOS)

UQ has a duty of care to its authorised travellers, travellers also have a shared duty of care and responsibility to minimise their risks when travelling.  

International SOS will offer UQ travellers 24/7 pre-departure medical, safety and security information and advice. International SOS will also provide both routine and emergency assistance when UQ’s people are travelling. In addition, International SOS will help UQ locate and confirm the safety of its travellers in time of crisis both domestically and internationally.

Please note, International SOS replaced Chubb Assistance services, effective Thursday 20 December 2018.

This service is to be used by all UQ travellers including staff, students, guests or group travellers on UQ approved travel.

Step-by-step guide and more information for travellers prior to travel and whilst travelling please click here.

Travel insurance

Automatic travel insurance coverage applies to UQ staff and currently enrolled UQ students undertaking a journey more than 50km from their normal place of residence or business premises and is either:

  1. Approved University travel as per 1.90.01 UQ Travel Policy and Procedures (PPL); or
  2. Approved work off campus as per 2.30.09 Work Off-Campus Policy and Procedures (PPL).

Accompanying persons (i.e spouse, partner or dependents) are not considered UQ travellers or representatives of UQ and therefore will not be covered by UQ's travel insurance. 

More information can be found regarding UQ travel insurance coverage, claims and exclusions on the UQ Insurance website. Travellers should take note of the relevant travel insurance policies available on this site for either staff or student travel. 

For insurance queries contact Insurance Services:


Phone: +61 7 3365 3075

Assistance whilst travelling

Effective 20 December, 2018 International SOS replaces the services of Chubb when travelling.

The 24/7 emergency contact is International SOS (ISOS) Assistance. Phone +61 2 9372 2468 and quote the UQ membership number. UQ strongly advises travellers to keep the ISOS Assistance phone number and membership number with you while travelling. 

+61 2 9372 2468 (reverse charge available)
UQ Membership Number: 12AYCA778031
Note: wallet sized contact cards are available from the UQ Travel team.

Passports and visas

For international travel

As a UQ traveller, it is your responsibility to have the correct documentation to enter planned destinations and perform the required business activities, prior to the trip departure.


When planning your travel, ensure you have a current passport with a sufficient validity period remaining. Some destinations require a minimum validity period beyond your planned date of exit. If unsure, you should contact the consulate office of the country you plan to visit.

Be aware that some countries place restriction on travellers who have travelled to certain countries. Email Campus Travel to see if your planned destination may require some additional requirements before booking.

The University will not cover the cost of obtaining a passport unless approval is provided by the Head of organisational unit. This may result in a Fringe Benefits Tax (FBT) liability. It is your responsibility to negate the FBT liability to the University. If you’re unsure of the FBT implications, you should firstly contact your local Finance Officer and then Financial and Business Services Tax, email


When travelling to international locations you may be required to apply for a visa to enter a specific country. You should seek advice and apply for a Visa online through the CIBTvisas website* or email Campus Travel

The University will cover the cost of obtaining visas if you're undertaking University travel that is solely for business purposes.

* CIBTvisas provide a self-service option where staff and students are able to apply for and track the progress of their applications online.

International Travel IT Checklist

Employees have heightened exposure to cyber security risks whilst they are travelling for work, including theft of equipment, covert access to equipment, malicious software infections, and Internet traffic surveillance. In some countries you may be specially targeted because of your role at UQ.

ITS are working with UQ travel to develop a process designed to safeguard employees and UQ from cyber security risks involved with work travel, particularly to overseas destinations that are known to pose a greater threat.

Before travelling overseas, you should complete the International Travel IT Checklist (staff login required) to help prepare you for your trip. Depending on the destination, ITS staff will ensure appropriate security measures are in place. Examples of these are: 

  • Providing information about how to stay secure while you travel.
  • Providing a backup MFA token, in case you lose your phone while you are overseas.
  • Ensuring your smart phone software is up-to-date, has a screen lock enabled, and is using encryption. 
  • Ensure your laptop is configured securely and is using encryption.

Work off-campus activities

Work off-campus (WOC) relates to activities such as fieldwork, which takes place at locations that are not registered as UQ sites and that may include unfamiliar surroundings or uncontrolled environments.

Activities that take place in a low risk environment, and where the travel and work activity risk are minimal, are not considered WOC. For example travel via a reputable airline to major Australian city to participate in a conference.

The Health, Safety and Wellness website provides guidance for determining if you need to complete a plan through the UQSafe-Field Trip system (UQ login required).

If travel includes WOC it is the traveller’s responsibility to submit any relevant WOC Plans or Risk Assessments to their Supervisor. The Supervisor's responsibility is to ensure the relevant WOC documentation has been completed and considered as part of the travel approval process.

For work off-campus queries contact the Health, Safety and Wellness Division:


Phone: +61 7 3365 2365

High risk destinations - International

The health and safety of our staff and students is a priority for us under the Senate-approved Risk Appetite Statement.

As a UQ traveller, it is your responsibility to read the travel advice provided by the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade (DFAT) - Smart Traveller website  and monitor any variations to the travel advice:

  • before applying for approval to travel;
  • between approval and commencement of the journey; and
  • while travelling.

High Risk Destinations (HRDs) are countries listed as either Level 3, 4 or where no advice has been issued by the Smart Traveller website.

To enable us to better protect the health and safety of UQ travellers and to make sure UQ meets its duty of care obligations, travel to high risk destinations (including transits) is prohibited unless the following conditions are met:

  • The travel is absolutely necessary; and
  • The risk to the UQ traveller can be managed to an acceptable level.

You must have additional approval for HRDs (indicated in the table below), prior to departure. You must submit your UniFi International Travel Request at least 10 business days before departure, ensuring appropriate risk assessment documentation is provided. Students must request via email and have Supervisor approval

All International Travel Requests which include travel to a high risk destination must attach the following forms, duly completed and signed by the Head of School/Director (or equivalent):

  1. International High Risk Travel Business Case; and
  2. International High Risk Travel Destination Approval Form

Some countries have more than one travel advisory level.  This may occur when the overall country is at a certain level, however different regions within the country are assessed to be at higher or lower levels due to particular risks or safety concerns.  Regions listed as either Level 3, 4 or where no advice has been issued must also have additional approval, even if the overall country travel advice is not classified as a HRD.

The process outlined above also applies if your itinerary includes a transit through a high risk destination. Transits through a high risk destination must be added as a travel leg in either the UniFi travel request or student approval email.

You must also separately notify Insurance Services (email if you are travelling to any HRD including the following countries:

  • North Korea
  • Russia (Crimean territories only)
  • Ukraine (Crimean territories only)
  • Iran
  • Syria
  • Cuba
  • North Sudan
  • Venezuela

DFAT travel advice level


UniFi High Risk Destination approval required

Level 1 –

Exercise normal safety precautions

Exercise common sense and look out for suspicious behaviour, as you would in Australia.


Level 2 –

Exercise a high degree of caution

Pay close attention to your personal security at all times and monitor the media about possible new safety or security risks.


Level 3 –

Reconsider your need to travel

There is a high level of risk in the country/region. This may be due to a very high threat of terrorist attack or a volatile and unpredictable security situation.

Destination must be approved by the appropriate University Senior Management Group (USMG) member, currently the Deputy Vice-Chancellor (External Engagement).

Level 4 –

Do not travel

The security situation is extremely dangerous. This may be due to a very high threat of terrorist attack, widespread armed conflict and or dangerous levels of violent crime.

You must not travel to these destinations, unless explicitly approved by a member of the Vice-Chancellor's Committee (VCC), currently Deputy Vice-Chancellor (External Engagement).

No advice issued

For some countries and regions, DFAT does not issue a full travel advisory. You should research the destination and complete appropriate risk assessment documentation.

Destination must be approved by the appropriate USMG member, currently Deputy Vice-Chancellor (External Engagement).

Medical advice and vaccinations

The University encourages you to seek medical advice prior to travelling overseas.

The cost of vaccinations and other precautions recommended as a result of seeking such advice will be refunded by the University to the extent that you’re out-of-pocket. You must seek Medicare and/or private medical cover reimbursement before seeking the balance from the University.

For up to date medical and vaccination advice please refer to your GP and or International SOS.

Private travel on my work trip (dual purpose travel)

Dual Purpose travel

If you take any private days during your University travel, this is considered dual purpose travel. You must complete a Dual Purpose Travel Calculator if dual purpose travel is planned, prior to booking travel. The appropriate calculator must be attached when seeking approval to travel.  Complete either:


Dual purpose travel is allowed only where specifically authorised by the travel approver.

For more information, refer to the UQ Dual Purpose Travel Guide [PDF].

Fringe Benefits Tax (FBT)

If the Dual Purpose Calculator determines the private travel is not incidental to the business component of the trip, then a Fringe Benefits Tax (FBT) liability arises. You must personally pay the costs of any private travel components in order to eliminate any FBT liability to the University.

You must not use University funds to pay for any private travel costs.

It is your responsibility to negate the FBT liability to the University prior to booking travel. If you’re unsure of the FBT implications, you should firstly contact your local Finance Officer and then Financial and Business Services Tax, email

For more information, refer to the UQ Dual Purpose Travel Guide [PDF].  Training in dual purpose travel and FBT is also available through the Staff Development website.

Budgeting for travel costs

When planning for travel on University business, you should provide an estimate of the total cost of your trip as part of the approval process. In developing your cost estimate you should consider the types of expenditure outlined here.