From passports and visas to travel insurance and working off-campus activities, there's a lot to consider before you set off on your journey. Our 'Planning Your Travel' section is a handy reference for things you need to consider prior to approval and booking.

Travel Policy and Procedure

University travel is a journey for University business activities by anyone who travels on approved University business or who travels as an approved representative of UQ. The journey must involve a flight on a commercial or charter aircraft, accommodation or vehicle hire.

Any University travel that does not fit the description above should follow the OHS Work Off-Campus Procedure (PPL).

UQ travellers, bookers and approvers should familiarise themselves with the University's Travel Policy and Procedure (PPL) and the content on this Travel website.

As a UQ traveller, it is your responsibility to ensure you:

  • comply with the Travel Policy and Procedure (PPL);
  • only undertake University travel after exploring other alternatives, ensuring the University is receiving value for money;
  • inform your Supervisor if any part of your trip changes before commencement or during your trip;
  • check funds are available to cover the expected travel costs prior to requesting domestic travel approval;
  • confirm your day-to-day work commitments, including teaching responsibilities, are covered for the duration of your trip;
  • comply with the Work Off-Campus Procedure (PPL), if applicable; and
  • have the correct documentation to enter planned destinations and perform the required business activities, prior to the trip departure.

International SOS (ISOS)

Information coming soon...

Travel insurance

Automatic travel insurance coverage applies to UQ staff and currently enrolled UQ students undertaking a journey more than 50km from their normal place of residence or business premises and is either:

  1. Approved University travel as per 1.90.01 UQ Travel Policy and Procedures (PPL); or
  2. Approved work off campus as per 2.30.09 Work Off-Campus Policy and Procedures (PPL).

Accompanying persons (i.e spouse, partner or dependents) are not considered UQ travellers or representatives of UQ and therefore will not be covered by UQ's travel insurance. 

More information can be found regarding UQ travel insurance coverage, claims and exclusions on the UQ Insurance website. Travellers should take note of the relevant travel insurance policies available on this site for either staff or student travel. 

Chubb Assistance provides UQ travellers with security and health advice on specific destinations on the Chubb Assistance website. You can register on the Chubb website using UQ’s travel insurance policy number 01PP529201. Once your profile has been setup, you can receive alerts and information on selected destinations.

For insurance queries contact Insurance Services:


Phone: +61 7 3365 3075

In the event of an emergency

The 24/7 emergency contact is Chubb Assistance. Phone +61 2 8907 5995 and quote policy number 01PP529201. Reverse phone charge is available. UQ strongly advises travellers to keep the Chubb Assistance phone number and the UQ insurance policy number with you while travelling. 

Passports and visas

For international travel

As a UQ traveller, it is your responsibility to have the correct documentation to enter planned destinations and perform the required business activities, prior to the trip departure.


When planning your travel, ensure you have a current passport with a sufficient validity period remaining. Some destinations require a minimum validity period beyond your planned date of exit. If unsure, you should contact the consulate office of the country you plan to visit.

Be aware that some countries place restriction on travellers who have travelled to certain countries. Email Campus Travel to see if your planned destination may require some additional requirements before booking.

The University will not cover the cost of obtaining a passport unless approval is provided by the Head of organisational unit. This may result in a Fringe Benefits Tax (FBT) liability. It is your responsibility to negate the FBT liability to the University. If you’re unsure of the FBT implications, you should firstly contact your local Finance Officer and then Financial and Business Services Tax, email


When travelling to international locations you may be required to apply for a visa to enter a specific country. You should seek advice and apply for a Visa online through the CIBTvisas website* or email Campus Travel

The University will cover the cost of obtaining visas if you're undertaking University travel that is solely for business purposes.

* CIBTvisas provide a self-service option where staff and students are able to apply for and track the progress of their applications online.

Work off-campus activities

Work off-campus (WOC) relates to activities such as fieldwork, which takes place at locations that are not registered as UQ sites and that may include unfamiliar surroundings or uncontrolled environments.

Activities that take place in a low risk environment, and where the travel and work activity risk are minimal, are not considered WOC. For example travel via a reputable airline to major Australian city to participate in a conference.

The OHS Work Off-Campus Procedure (PPL) outlines the University’s requirements for WOC. A WOC Plan and Risk Assessment must be completed for activities that fall under the WOC Procedure.

If travel includes WOC it is the traveller’s responsibility to submit any relevant WOC Plans or Risk Assessments to their Supervisor. The Supervisor's responsibility is to ensure the relevant WOC documentation has been completed and considered as part of the travel approval process.

For work off-campus queries contact Occupational Health and Safety:


Phone: +61 7 3365 2365

High risk destinations - International

The health and safety of our staff and students is a priority for us under the Senate-approved Risk Appetite Statement.

As a UQ traveller, it is your responsibility to read the travel advice provided by the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade (DFAT) - Smart Traveller website  and monitor any variations to the travel advice:

  • before applying for approval to travel;
  • between approval and commencement of the journey; and
  • while travelling.

High Risk Destinations (HRDs) are countries listed as either Level 3, 4 or where no advice has been issued by the Smart Traveller website.

To enable us to better protect the health and safety of UQ travellers and to make sure UQ meets its duty of care obligations, travel to high risk destinations (including transits) is prohibited unless the following conditions are met:

  • The travel is absolutely necessary; and
  • The risk to the UQ traveller can be managed to an acceptable level.

You must have additional approval for HRDs (indicated in the table below), prior to departure. You must submit your UniFi International Travel Request or Travel Notification Template at least 10 business days before departure, ensuring appropriate risk assessment documentation is provided. 

All International Travel Request forms (submitted via UniFi or Travel Notification Template (XLS)) which include travel to a high risk destination must attach the following forms, duly completed and signed by the Head of School/Director (or equivalent):

  1. International High Risk Travel Business Case; and
  2. International High Risk Travel Destination Approval Form

Some countries have more than one travel advisory level.  This may occur when the overall country is at a certain level, however different regions within the country are assessed to be at higher or lower levels due to particular risks or safety concerns.  Regions listed as either Level 3, 4 or where no advice has been issued must also have additional approval, even if the overall country travel advice is not classified as a HRD.

The process outlined above also applies if your itinerary includes a transit through a high risk destination. Transits through a high risk destination must be added as a travel leg in either the UniFi travel request or Travel Notification Template.

You must also separately notify Insurance Services (email if you are travelling to any HRD including Afghanistan, Chad, Chechnya, Cote d’lvoire (Ivory Coast), Cuba, Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC), Iran, Iraq, Israel, Libya, Myanmar, Somalia, Sudan, South Sudan, Syria or Yemen so that the University Travel Insurance can be notified.

DFAT travel advice level


UniFi High Risk Destination approval required

Level 1 –

Exercise normal safety precautions

Exercise common sense and look out for suspicious behaviour, as you would in Australia.


Level 2 –

Exercise a high degree of caution

Pay close attention to your personal security at all times and monitor the media about possible new safety or security risks.


Level 3 –

Reconsider your need to travel

There is a high level of risk in the country/region. This may be due to a very high threat of terrorist attack or a volatile and unpredictable security situation.

Destination must be approved by the appropriate University Senior Management Group (USMG) member, currently the Deputy Vice-Chancellor (External Engagement).

Level 4 –

Do not travel

The security situation is extremely dangerous. This may be due to a very high threat of terrorist attack, widespread armed conflict and or dangerous levels of violent crime.

You must not travel to these destinations, unless explicitly approved by a member of the Vice-Chancellor's Committee (VCC), currently Deputy Vice-Chancellor (External Engagement).

No advice issued

For some countries and regions, DFAT does not issue a full travel advisory. You should research the destination and complete appropriate risk assessment documentation.

Destination must be approved by the appropriate USMG member, currently Deputy Vice-Chancellor (External Engagement).

Medical advice and vaccinations

The University encourages you to seek medical advice prior to travelling overseas.

The cost of vaccinations and other precautions recommended as a result of seeking such advice will be refunded by the University to the extent that you’re out-of-pocket. You must seek Medicare and/or private medical cover reimbursement before seeking the balance from the University.

Private travel on my work trip (dual purpose travel)

Dual Purpose travel

If you take any private days during your University travel, this is considered dual purpose travel. You must complete a Dual Purpose Travel Calculator if dual purpose travel is planned, prior to booking travel. The appropriate calculator must be attached when seeking approval to travel.  Complete either:


Dual purpose travel is allowed only where specifically authorised by the travel approver.

For more information, refer to the UQ Dual Purpose Travel Guide [PDF].

Fringe Benefits Tax (FBT)

If the Dual Purpose Calculator determines the private travel is not incidental to the business component of the trip, then a Fringe Benefits Tax (FBT) liability arises. You must personally pay the costs of any private travel components in order to eliminate any FBT liability to the University.

You must not use University funds to pay for any private travel costs.

It is your responsibility to negate the FBT liability to the University prior to booking travel. If you’re unsure of the FBT implications, you should firstly contact your local Finance Officer and then Financial and Business Services Tax, email

For more information, refer to the UQ Dual Purpose Travel Guide [PDF].  Training in dual purpose travel and FBT is also available through the Staff Development website.

Budgeting for travel costs

When planning for travel on University business, you should provide an estimate of the total cost of your trip as part of the approval process. In developing your cost estimate you should consider the types of expenditure outlined here.