Renewed Travel Ban for USA

8 Mar 2017


On 6 March 2017 a revised executive order was issued by the President of the United States, which imposed a ban on entry to the USA for citizens of Iran, Libya, Somalia, Sudan, Syria and Yemen for at least 90 days. This new travel ban takes effect from 16 March 2017 and as it stands, would deny these citizens entry to the USA until at least 14 June 2017.

This replaces the previous travel ban which was overturned by the Federal Court. It is important to note that organisations intend to dispute this order also so the situation may change at short notice. News and updates will be made available on the UQ Travel website.


What has changed?

Citizens of Iran, Libya, Somalia, Sudan, Syria or Yemen will be denied entry to the USA from 16 March 2017. Iraqi citizens were previously included, but are now exempt.

There is a 120 day suspension on the entry of any refugees (including Syrian refugees who were previously banned indefinitely).

What are the exceptions?

There are some important exceptions:

  • Citizens of any of these six countries listed above who hold an existing visa, US citizenship or a Green Card to enter the USA that was also valid as at 27 January 2017, will be able to enter from 16 March.
  • Dual citizens of one of the six listed nations and another (not listed) country may apply for a visa to enter the USA from 16 March 2017. Please note: these people should travel on a passport other than the one they have for the banned country.
  • Citizens of these countries who are inside the USA at the time of this ban are exempt but may not be able to return if they leave the USA.
  • Certain diplomats and government officials.
  • Hardship cases (on a case-by-case basis)

I am an Iraqi citizen. Can I travel freely to the USA now?

You are not banned from entry but you will still require a visa.

How do I apply for a USA visa?

Campus Travel strongly advise that you apply for your visa at least two months prior to travel. The process may be expedited but it is best to allow as much time as possible.

You should begin your visa application here:

I am a dual national as described above but I do not currently have a valid passport for my other country of citizenship. Can I still get a visa?

No. You will need to obtain a passport for your ‘other’ country of citizenship in order to apply for your USA visa.

Campus Travel strongly recommend that anyone who has any questions about their travel status or visa validity, should contact your nearest US embassy or consulate (contact information below).

Can my Campus Travel consultant contact the USA consulate on my behalf?

It is best if you contact the consulate yourself due to the personal nature of the information and the identity verification they will require. You should have your passport details handy when you are speaking to the consulate.

I have visited one of the six banned countries since 1 March 2011. Can I travel to the USA?

Please also see the ESTA FAQWhether a citizen of one of the six countries or not, you will require a visa to enter the USA if you have visited Iran, Libya, Somalia, Sudan, Syria or Yemen since 1 March 2011. You must contact your nearest USA consulate or embassy for further advice.

I am not a citizen of one of these countries, nor have I visited any of them since 1 March 2011.  What do I need to do to travel to the USA?

If you are a citizen of a visa waiver country (including Australia, New Zealand, Britain) you will be required to hold a valid ESTA. Please see the ESTA FAQ.

I was affected by the previous ban and adjusted my travel arrangements accordingly.  Can I change them again since I can now travel?

Please speak to your Campus Travel consultant. Our airline and wholesale partners are working with us to help affected travellers. 

I am not personally affected by the ban but no longer wish to travel to the United States at this time.

We suggest that you refer to the Australian Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade advice on the United Sates before making any decision about your travel.

Please be aware that normal change and cancellation fees apply to travellers who are not directly affected by this executive order.

Is it likely these travel restrictions may change again?

Yes. There have been significant changes to the original executive order during the past month. UQ travellers planning on going to the U.S. in the near future should stay in close contact with your Campus Travel consultant. If you’re unsure whether or not you are affected by the recent changes please contact the US embassy or consulate nearest to you.

Is this covered by UQ travel insurance?

Cancellation and curtailment expenses incurred by a UQ traveller due to unforeseen circumstance outside the control of either UQ or the traveller will be reimbursed under the insurance policy, subject to the policy's terms, conditions and exclusions. This cover applies both before a journey commences (loss of deposits), or once a traveller has commenced the journey.

For insurance queries contact Insurance Services:


Phone: +61 7 3365 3075

What if I have booked travel to the U.S. but not through Campus Travel?

If travellers booked directly with a travel supplier other than Campus Travel, the traveller will need to contact the supplier themselves. Some airlines are offering refunds or changes, but this depends on the supplier.

Further information

Please contact the Campus Travel team, phone (07) 3393 8855 or email, for further information about these changes or if you are affected and are supposed to be travelling to the U.S.

You can also refer to these websites for more information:

DFAT Smart Traveller - United States of America

U.S. Embassy & Consulates in Australia                                                                              

U.S. Customs and Border Protection 

U.S. Department of State