When paying for travel expenses, it is your responsibility to ensure the costs are reasonable and that you are achieving best value for money.

Campus Travel, UQ's travel management company, can manage your trip requirements. By booking travel through Campus Travel, your business unit or project will not be charged travel agent booking fees.  These fees will be absorbed centrally.

It is also your responsibility to ensure that appropriate records are kept to ensure the University can satisfy audit and reporting obligations.

Please note, any queries relating to expenses for travel should be directed to FBS support at fbs.support@uq.edu.au

Pre-departure travel expenses

Campus Travel manages travel bookings for the University including flights, accommodation, car hire, transfers and other travel services such as visas. 

By booking domestic travel through the UQ Online Booking Tool, staff can charge the UQ Travel Account to make instant bookings and negate the need to use other forms of payment such as corporate credit card or purchase order. Travellers will receive an automated itinerary when booking travel through the Online Booking Tool.

The payment method to Campus Travel is listed in order of preference below:

  1. UQ Travel Account (applicable to domestic bookings made in the Online Booking Tool)
  2. UQ Corporate Credit Card
  3. Purchase Order, or
  4. Travel Card. 

Your local Finance Officer or travel booker will be able to assist you in this process.

Campus Travel invoices

UQ Travellers making domestic bookings on the UQ Travel Account via the Online Booking Tool will no longer be required to keep invoices or reconcile the transaction after 14 August 2017. If you require an invoice for reimbursement from an external organisation, please contact the Campus Travel team directly at uq@campustravel.com.au

All other payment methods (except for the UQ Travel Account) still require invoices to kept and the transaction reconciled or finalised. 

Reprinting a Campus Travel invoice

If you need to re-print an invoice from Campus Travel contact Campus Travel directly by email uq@campustravel.com.au.

Upgrade using personal funds or loyalty / Frequent Flyer points

If you wish to upgrade air travel to a higher class than what was approved, you must do so with your own personal funds or loyalty/frequent flyer points.

This can be arranged through the Campus Travel team email uq@campustravel.com.au.

Expenses while travelling

Reasonable business related expenses incurred while travelling will be funded by the University. You must obtain supporting documentation for all expenditure that is funded by the University, or for which you will be seeking reimbursement. The only exception is travel allowance which does not require supporting documentation to be kept (unless specifically required by a funding body).

The University will not fund any expenses on the days deemed as private on your work trip.

Guidance regarding the use of University funds for hospitality and entertainment can be found in the Hospitality Policy (PPL) and the UQ Fringe Benefits Tax Guide [PDF].

Paying for travel expenditure

The payment method of expenses incurred whilst travelling is listed in order of preference below:

UQ Travel Allowance

​Domestic and international travel allowance is available to cover the costs of meals and incidentals per overnight stay while on University travel. You are not required to keep receipts if you take the travel allowance. For more information, refer to Travel Allowance.


  1. UQ Corporate Credit Card 
    If you are a frequent UQ traveller you should consider applying for a UQ Corporate Credit Card. For more information on the UQ Corporate Credit Card application and card management refer to the Corporate Credit Cards Procedure (PPL). 
  2. Reimbursements
    You can claim for reasonable out-of-pocket expenses on your return, with appropriate supporting documentation. For more information on the reimbursement process and the relevant claim forms, refer to the Reimbursements Procedure (PPL).
  3. Travel Card
    If you are not eligible for a UQ Corporate Card, are a UQ student or travelling to a cash-only economy, you can apply for a Travel Card (a debit card with a pre-determined cash load). Refer to the Travel Card Procedure (PPL) for more information on Travel Card applications and card management. For travel card assistance, refer to our Frequently asked questions.

Requests to load funds onto a Travel Card for domestic travel are processed via the UniFi Domestic Travel Card Load. Requests to load funds onto a Travel Card for international travel are processed via the UniFi International Travel Request and Card Load.  Please refer to the UQ Travel training material for further information.

Note: You must have written approval from your Supervisor to travel before a Domestic Travel Card load can be requested and arranged.

UQ travel allowance

  • Travel allowance is for meals and incidentals per overnight stay while travelling on University business.
  • Specifically, travel allowance will apply to:
    • Meals (food and drink for breakfast, lunch and dinner)
    • Expenses incidental to travel such as: morning and afternoon tea, snacks, drinks (coffee, tea etc.), public transport, gratuities, phone or internet charges, laundry
  • Travel allowance will not be paid on any days of private travel.
    • The standard UQ travel allowance rates can't be adjusted however University business units may opt to pay actuals rather than the standard UQ travel allowance. 
    • The UQ travel allowance rates should be used as a guideline for actual expenditure on meals and incidentals during travel. 
    • If meals are fully provided for during travel (i.e. paid for by an external organisation or as part of a conference package), then the traveller will not be able to claim travel allowance. 
    • UQ Corporate Credit Card holders will be eligible for travel allowance, however, if they claim a travel allowance, they must not use their corporate credit card to also pay for meals or incidentals. 
    • Travel allowance does not require travellers to collect receipts for meals or incidentals, unless submission of receipts is required to comply with granting agency regulations. 
    • Travel allowance is only available for travel with an overnight stay.
    • Travel allowance no longer applies to domestic accommodation.

    Download the UQ travel allowance Fact Sheet [PDF].

    Domestic travel allowance

    The standard travel allowance rate for domestic travel is $85 per overnight stay while on UQ business travel. The standard travel allowance rate ($85) applies to all locations in Australia.

    UQ staff can apply for a domestic travel allowance through the Expense Management System (ProMaster) by logging in and creating an expense claim with expense type "Dom Travel Allowance". You will be paid $85 via your personal bank account for meals and incidentals per overnight stay while on UQ business travel.

    Non-staff and students can claim the domestic travel allowance via the non-staff forms

    The standard travel allowance rates for domestic travel can be determined by completing the Domestic Travel Allowance Calculator [XLS], maintained by Finance and Business Services.

    International travel allowance

    The standard travel allowance rates for international travel can be determined by completing the International Travel Allowance Calculator [XLS], maintained by Finance and Business Services.

    International travel allowance will continue to be loaded onto Travel Cards for now, through the UniFi Travel Request form.

    To acquit and finalise international travel, you will still need to follow the current process of completing a Travel Card statement.

    Standard rates for international travel are outlined below:

    Country Cost Group

    Daily Allowance

    Country Cost Group 1


    Country Cost Group 2


    Country Cost Group 3


    Country Cost Group 4


    Country Cost Group 5


    Country Cost Group 6



    Note: Country Cost Group for international travel is based on the Australian Taxation Office (ATO) country groups.